Monday, May 08, 2006

Yoe, Craig!


One of my favorite folks is eccentric humorist, cartoonist and comic and cartoon historian Craig Yoe. I first discovered him when he had a column in TBG (or was it CBG by then?) back in the proverbial day. In 1999, he published one of my favorite books from my Library, CRAIG YOE’S WEIRD BUT TRUE TOON FACTOIDS! The book is a collection of more-or-less random bits of minutiae and trivia on comic books, animated cartoons, newspaper comic strips old and new and any and all related fields. One reason why I enjoy the book so much as I’ve been told that I ALSO am a collection of more-or-less random bits of minutiae and trivia on comic books, animated cartoons, newspaper comic strips old and new and any and all related fields. It may be a slim volume but within its hard covers you’ll find Milton Caniff’s nudes, Basil Wolverton’s portrait of Ben Franklin, Mel Blanc’s headstone, a flashing Pikachu and rare and/or previously unpublished art by Chuck Jones, Dick Ayers, Joe Shuster and dozens of other artists all laid out in a RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT style format!
I JUST recently discovered that Craig Yoe is now blogging with Arf Lovers Blog and, as you might expect, his blog is a colorful, eclectic mess of wonderful ephemera! I must warn you, though. Stay away if you’re easily offended. Despite his having been long-connected with the Muppets, Arf Lovers Blog is NOT an all-ages blog. Recent posts have offered a BARNEY GOOGLE Tijuana Bible and a topless model done up as WONDER WOMAN. Since I no longer manage a bookstore, I also missed another book, MODERN ARF as well as a forthcoming follow-up, ARF MUSEUM. With his obsession on cartoon trivia, I can’t wait to see what he’ll come up with next!

No comments:

Post a Comment