Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Another Captain Tootsie


I don't remember exactly where I first heard of CAPTAIN TOOTSIE but it was probably in a fanzine in the seventies. Although just one page ads for Tootsie Rolls, these 1940's ads were produced by the folks who were then producing the gazillion-selling CAPTAIN MARVEL comic. Notably, this meant the great C. C. BECK with his amazingly neat, clean cartoon style, aided here by his longtime studio assistant, Pete Costanza (who, during the Silver Age, drew some memorable JIMMY OLSEN issues).

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:56 PM

    One of the reasons I collect old comics instead of just waiting for the
    high-priced Archives, is wonderful
    filler material like Captain Tootsie!
    I just received a Golden Age comic today, an Ebay win, and I took the time to sit down and read it. And I
    read it all! The comic pages, the text
    pages, the 1/2 page gag cartoons, the ads, etc.
    Everything was of interest to me.
    Can you say the same of today's comic
    book product? Dull stuff, by comparison.

    ReplyDelete